Thursday, July 27, 2006

Christmas in July!

I had a somewhat interesting adventure the other day. I was asked to pick up a friend from the airport. This is usually not a big deal or a terribly difficult task and have done it several times...in the US. This would be my first time driving without someone with me nor following someone. It would be my first car adventure in Casa.I drove just a time or two while in Egypt. I did however drive quite a bit back and forth across the Mor/Spainish border of the spanish enclave Melilla when I was here before. On either side of the border are really small towns and so it was real easy to navigate. I did, however, manage to get into a wreck while driving in Jordan. Poor dog came out of nowhere and broke the car pretty good. Anyway, so I haven't had alot of experience driving in big cities overseas, plus I'm directionally challenged. So, I got directions to the airport. I have been there a few times, but never by myself and always following someone. So I take off, i'm a-dodging and a-weaving, a-weaving and a-dodging and totally go the opposite direction I'm suppose to. It took me a while to figure out that the scenery didn't look familiar at all. So I make a phone call to confirm. I had misinterpreted the directions. Ah, there is always interpretation. Oh well. The solution: keep going until I find another airport exit. Yeah, took me twice as long to get there and I was terribly late, but my friend was as gracious as always. We made it back without a hitch and then the exchange. I had sent some things with my friend to send back to the manufacturer for replacement. My RAM had burned up due to my computer power supply overcharging my battery (I think), in any case the RAM caused this error, which led me to believe it was the hard drive that was messing up, when it wasn't the hard drive at all. Kingston who manufactured the RAM has lifetime guarantee on RAM. So I sent it back and they sent me another one. My ZEN headphone jack also broke. They also replaced it, even upgraded me to a 6 Gig instead of the 5 Gig I had sent them! It was nice surprise. Then I started playing with the new Zen I realized my old one didn't function properly anyway! The interface was tricky to use since there are no 'buttons', but only touchpad type interface and it didn't work well. But this new one works great, easy to search and select! Both products were sent in and replaced within 10 days! I was so impressed. I didn't think I would see the stuff until maybe the end of August when I go to Germany. I also purchased a new power supply for my computer and it came as well. I was hoping this would alleviate the overheating problem, but as of yet, it still overheats and shuts down unless its propped up and a fan is pointed at the computer. But atleast its still working!
Also an update from my Recipe Website post: Check out this website Google Cooking It does a descent job of giving you recipes for what you have! Thanks Kyle!
(for those less web savvy, click the colored/highlighted words for links to other websites)

No comments: