A few of you know that I am
lactose intolerant since sometime 2005. I am not sure what brought it on. I have read that introducing a new bacteria to the body may induce a reaction like this. So it may have been my week in Indonesia helping with
Tsunami relief. In any case, not being able to have milk takes a bit of diet change obviously. Its amazing how much stuff has milk or a milk derivative in it. Before my lactose intolerance, breakfast was never a big deal. I had eaten cereal since I can remember for breakfast.
Honey Combs and
Cap'n Crunch were my favorites. Its just so easy and can even be healthy. So when I came here, I started eating eggs everyday for breakfast, and realizing this not to be very healthy lifestyle, I began looking into other alternatives. I came across
Soy milk here. It tastes great actually, but terribly expensive here. I realized I could not continue to indulge the cereal habit. I mean, cereal shouldn't be, by its nature, an 'indulgence'. I mean, indulgences should be saved for ice cream or something exotic. Not cereal. But then a friend mentioned to me about making my own milk. You can make rice milk and almond milk from your home. After reading a bit on rice milk and almond milk. I decided that almond milk would be the healthier choice. Almonds are not dirt cheap, but they are present year around. But I would need to buy a blender. So off to the megamarket,
Marjane, to buy a blender. They had about 10 or so models ranging from about 30-80 dollars. But then I saw a 'special buy' for a Moulinex Blender with 500 Watts of processing power , something inside of me did the
Tim the ToolMan Taylor Simian grunt.

So now I am into making my own almond milk: One part almonds, 4 parts water, a little bit of sugar, and 4-5 dates-mix well and strain. Now if you are using it just for cereal, you won't mind the grittiness. But if you want to add it to coffee or something, you need to do a bit more straining and that I admit, is a bit laborious. So now I have all this 'almond paste' left over after making the milk. I am not sure what to do with it. Any Ideas?
9 comments:
Yes! You can make marzipan...maybe. If your paste is already like marzipan, you can make almond-filled pastries such as "gazelle's horns." Though good, these are time consuming. The almond paste would probably be good in cookies too.
Congratulations on your first batch of almond milk!
Yes. Get friends to bring you lactose pills from America, where the streets are made of cheese.
Good choice. Evidently cows bring you only a teaspoon at a time. http://talkingturk.blogspot.com/
Oh, and if you have too much of that paste after you've used what you'd like, I wouldn't mind having some. That is, of course, if you can spare some.
That is so clever. Way to go Scott!! I hope I can be that creative when we live in another country!!
wow, that is a lot of work for cereal! But at least you're being healthy and resourceful!
wow, impressive...you seem like a very competant young man!
You could form the almond paste into chess pieces, and let them harden. This might require baking. Once you complete a set, you could sell it on the street for extra income.
well, keith, I haven't thought of that, but baking something requires using the oven, don't know if i am up for that, i'm just getting use to the blender
Post a Comment