Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Wedding

I had this great opportunity to go to a wedding. It was the son of my landlady who was getting married. We were told it started around 8ish in the evening. An American friend and myself arrive at the groom's house around 8:30 and are basically the first ones to show up. There was this ornate arrangement of flowers and traditional things of dates and sweets right at the entrance of the house ( I would have taken a picture but I felt awkard enough as it was). This was a gathering of the groom's family I think. Women all dressed up in elaborate dresses all sat in one room while the men sat in another. Slowly over the course of a few hours, more and more people show and soon its packed, standing room only in the house. All during this time, waiters are bringing coffee, tea, and little sweet appetizers. Then my friend and myself were invited outside and we see these guys all dressed traditionally with flags (pictured). They start playing music in the street and go into the house. They play and dance around a little while. Then they take a place in one of the rooms and start playing really loud. Making any attempts at conversation impossible. Then soon after everyone starts getting up and leaving. I had no idea what was happening, but thinking, 'where's the bride?'. Sure enough, the bride was some place else and we were all going to her. So we got a ride with some folks. We followed the music guys, b/c no one apparently knew where this place was.We got lost, but eventually found our way! The bride's family ( i think) rented this huge fancy place for the reception or something like it. There were atleast a couple hundred guests. Both families were 'well to do' to say the least. It was a culturally packed night for me. Posted by Picasa

No comments: