Friday: It started out on Friday morning with me taking a little tumble down the stairs. I was carrying my laundry to the apartment below, where our washer is. I was carrying my laundry in a basket held out in front of me as to not misstep and fall. Then somehow I mis judged the last step and fell twisting my ankle
Saturday: Saturday looked to be a busy day with a friend coming in from the capital in the afternoon and a gathering later that evening to bid farewell, hopefully more like "until next time", to a young couple. So I thought I would get some more laundry out of the way, like I said, I had lots to do. So I put in a load, took down the clothes from the previous day and a few other things before I noticed the lake in the kitchen where the washer was. The washing machine had turned into a opened fire hydrant making the kitchen into a swimming pool. I turned off the washer and waded around thinking of the best way to move such a huge quantity of water ( about an inch of standing water). I was hoping for a drain, but I couldn't find one. Right next to the kitchen is an enclosed, but open to the sky courtyard where we hang our clothes to dry. I did a quick scan, didn't see one there or in the kitchen. I called the person incharge of the apartment to ask if there were any drains in the apartment. She said only on the balcony, which was on the other side of the apartment. So I pull out my last resort, towels. I grabbed as many towels as I could and threw them on the floor. They float for a little while and then sank....'this could take a while', I thought. So then I begin the arduous task of wringing out the many towels. I was thinking, "what I wouldn't give for a wet/dry shop vac!' I was thinking I may have to have my friend come help me with all the this water. I then get a phone call from my old LandLady that she needed to meet me that day at 11:30am to get the keys for the apartment and it was 10:45am by this time. My friend was coming at 12 on the train. I was beginning to feel a slight bit of stress. Then a glorious vision: the tap. In my quick scan of the outside area, I remembered seeing a tap and usually where there is a tap, there's a drain. So I looked again,and under a huge, monda bucket, sure enough, there was a drain! So I whipped out the squeegee and made short work of all the water in enough time to meet everyone I needed to, even with a strained ankle! He is GOOD.
powered by performancing firefox
5 comments:
Meskin!
It's not a real apt. unless it has drains everywhere, of course.
Gives me flashbacks of a day I had not too long ago...
Wow!
Abdul Muhib took my planned comment: Meskin!!!
Glad you survived!
the adventures of Scot Toler...I would have used the towels and then put them into the washer on spin cycle... unless the washer was kaput.
good thought mary, the spin cycle is not so well marked on the washer, but i'm sure i would have found it. good idea.
Post a Comment