With Collin away, I had a good opportunity to create some meaningful bonds with his dog, Modie. In the past, Modie and I have had some issues, mainly everytime she would see me, she would jump on me, and then I would try to stop her, and she would start using the bathroom, as a submissive act, called submissive urination.. PTL for tile. So this gets old, ohhh, after the 20th time. So I thought these two weeks, we will get to be real bosom buddies. Well, the first day Collin left must have terribly tramatic for her. She used the bathroom in her cage, which is rare for dogs to do that....this did not quicken our relationship in the least. As I was trying to discipline her to keep her from using the bathroom in the house, to stop jumping on people, and pulling me as we walked, I realized that I didn't really know how to discipline very well. I come from the old school, you just "beat the faar outa 'er" to get her to change her behavior. Well, She seems to be quite the stubborn dog and this approach had limited success. I did see a couple of podcasts of the Dogwhisperer and he helped me understand possibly why Modie was behaving like she was...but in the end she still behaves like before, without much change except to say, the submissive urinating has decreased :) But I wonder if my disciplining struggles stem from the fact that I'm the youngest child, and didn't receive alot of discipline...mainly b/c I was a perfect child (right, mom!) although my brothers say its b/c our parents were too worn out to care by the time I came. I think I turned out all right in any case. Anyway, collin has returned now and I think Modie is a happier pooch.
1 comment:
Wow. I have the same problem. Whenever I read a superior blog.
Whoops. There it goes again.
Post a Comment